Ballasalla, Isle of Man.
Centre for Manx Studies
ARCHAEOLOGY: 1926-7 and 1928 DIGS
Who was digging?
The then owner of the Abbey estate Mr. W. C. Cubbon, who led "a small group of N.H.A.S.(Isle of Man Natural History and Antiquarian Society) members."
Why were they/was he digging?
Following on from the 1913 excavations, it was decided to try and find the North Transept of the Cistercian Church.
Where were they digging?
Around the Church Tower. (See diagram at the foot of this page).
What did they find?
"Numerous burials (shown by associated buckles, etc. to be of an early Norman date) were found". These finds suggested that "at least some of the foundations discovered might be of an earlier establishment".
Dr Lawrence Butler mentions "and one burial with two bronze buckles thought to be of special significance ('Lagman's Grave') was marked by a concrete surround. Finds of floor tiles and nine burials are in the site museum".
Photograph of Lagman's Grave: CLICK HERE
Photograph of a skull: CLICK HERE
(c) Centre for Manx Studies 2003